Quitter: minimal portable Twitter application

Propose and present new applications that could be integrated
Règles du forum
¤ Rules for applications' submission.
¤ Direct download links are prohibited and will be deleted without notice.
5 messages • Page 1 sur 1

Quitter: minimal portable Twitter application

Messagede MicketsBR » 27 Juin 2011, 05:20

What? No portable Twitter clients in LiberKey? Let's start.

Quitter is a very small ( < 150Kb ) portable command-line Twitter client for Windows. It looks like you're working on a DOS prompt, and no one will ever notice you're actually working on Twitter.

• Language: English
  • Operating Systems: Windows 2000 / XP / VIsta. Windows 7 ? (not tested apparently)
  • License: free and open source
  • Author description:

Quitter - A Quiet Little Twitter Client
    I love Twitter, but I didn't love the fact that so many of the desktop clients for Twitter were large downloads with visually-rich Adobe Air interfaces or big flashy websites. I wanted a quiet little Twitter client.

So I wrote Quitter.

Quitter is a Twitter client that doesn't announce itself to the entire cube farm; it runs in a command window (or "DOS window"). There's no installer and no entries in the Start Menu; it will run from a thumbdrive. It's a single small EXE file (about 105k) and it stores its settings in a small XML file.

With Quitter, you can...

Read, post, reply and retweet.
    Organize the people you follow into groups and read tweets by group.
    Filter (or highlight) tweets from specific users or that contain certain #hashtags.
    Use URL shorteners like TinyUrl.com for tweeting URLs.
    Easily open tweeted links from other users in your default browser (no copy/paste needed)
    Send and receive direct messages
    Follow or unfollow other users

Quitter runs on Windows 2000/XP/Vista and requires Version 2.0 of the Microsoft .NET Framework or higher (version 2.0 was released in 2006; most Windows machines should have version 2.0 or higher).

Quitter is free (as in beer) and open-source and will always be both.

• My Opinion: So far Quitter looks very good. Those who are comfortable with command-line environment will love it. It is soooo small, around 150Kb. No fancy graphics interface. Various options via menu keys. As you type your tweet, the font becomes red when the 140 character limit is exceeded. Does not support accents (ã, ç, etc), and can only use backspace to edit tweet before posting (hence erasing previous characters). But it does a good job. I liked it.
  • Author website: http://quitter.codeplex.com/
MicketsBR
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: Quitter: minimal portable Twitter application

Messagede Hildurin » 09 Septembre 2011, 07:21

I doubt the LiberKey crew will be flattered by a Tweet application which has not the ability to write accents. In english they are useless, but in french... essentials :laugh:

Anyway, +1 to your proposition of a portable Tweet app. Any other ideas?
Hildurin
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede MicketsBR » 22 Décembre 2011, 18:03

Sorry... no ideas. I've been using Plume on my Android instead nowadays...
MicketsBR
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Messagede MicketsBR » 24 Décembre 2011, 07:32

OK: I found a nice portable Twitter application. And it's free.

It's called Instant Bird, and it's actually a messaging app, that supports MSN, ICQ, Yahoo, GTalk, etc, AND Twitter!

An interesting thing, it looks just like Thunderbird and Firefox, and it has extensions and themes. It's likely based on the same core (or whatever).

Anyway, I don't have the time to publish a proper submission here, but will do eventually. Unless someone else has the time to do so...

http://instantbird.com/
MicketsBR
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Messagede MicketsBR » 24 Décembre 2011, 08:07

And Miranda-IM (already here in Liberkey) has a plug-in for Twitter. not exactly great, but it works.
MicketsBR
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

5 messages • Page 1 sur 1

Retourner vers Applications submission