How to switch apps to other language (e.g. german)

Discussions (excluding Support)
8 messages • Page 1 sur 1

How to switch apps to other language (e.g. german)

Messagede joecool » 12 Août 2009, 08:23

First of all thank you for this good packkage!

I espacially like the ability to update the packages automatically,
but how can I change these apps to another language?

Some apps has the ability to configure the language - all rigtht.

Other apps has different distributions for other languages or they need a language package addititionally downloaded and installed.

It would be very nice to have a the ability to set my preferred language in my profile with fallback to e.g. english if my preferred language is not available.

Is there already a solution or workaround for this?

Many thanks for your support and answers.
joecool
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re:How to switch apps to other language (e.g. german)

Messagede skybird » 12 Août 2009, 09:49

Hi and welcome joecool,

Do you mean: save in Liberkey's profile "my preferred language: German". Thus, all applications start in German and if this later is not available, in English?

It's a good idea but it's actually not possible (and I don't think it will be).

The only solution is to select the language in the application (this parameter will be saved and still available on the next update)
skybird
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Messagede joecool » 12 Août 2009, 16:28

Hello,

thank you for your warm welcome and your quick respones.

Do you mean: save in Liberkey's profile "my preferred language: German". Thus, all applications start in German and if this latter is not available, in English?

No, I wish to install the language specific package if one exist.
Actually I do not see a way to install e.g. OpenOffice german and continue using the fantastic update service.
If I overwrite manually the installed english version with the german version than it will be overwritten with the next newer english version by the liberkey update function. Isn't it?

The only solution was to define the language in the application (this preference will be saved in next updates)

Will this mention different packages or only those programs which can be internaly configured for different languages.

The question is: how can I automatically install e.g. the german OpenOffice or other language specific packages and continue using the liberkey update service.
joecool
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede skybird » 15 Août 2009, 09:48

Hi joecool,
Firefox, Thunderbird and Open Office.org are specials cases. The authors provide one installer per language. The Liberkey is available in English and French so the automatic installation packages too.

There is still possibility to change the language of these applications.

For Firefox : Download and install de.xpi from here. In adress bar, type about:config, in filter type general.useragent.local and set value to de then restart FF.

For Thundirbird : Download and install de.xpi from here. Go to Options, Advanced, in General's Tab choose Configuration Editor. A panel like about:config of Firefox appear. Same as previously, in filter type general.useragent.local and set value to de then restart Thundirbird

For OpenOffice.org: there is this thread in OOo's board. But OOo_3.1.0_Win32Intel_langpack_de.exe does not appear to be available :(.

Modifications in Firefox and Thunderbird will be saved in their next update.
skybird
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Messagede joecool » 15 Août 2009, 12:34

Hi Skybird,

thank you for your answer, hints and tippsd.

skybird wrote:
Firefox, Thunderbird and Open Office.org are specials cases. The authors provide one installer per language. The Liberkey is available in English and French so the automatic installation packages too.

I think there are 4 categories of language specific situations in software:
[*][*]only one language available
no action necessary for liberkey and user
[*]language can be changed in the options menu of the installed software
no action necessary for liberkey, user has to change language option, option should be saved by software[*]language can be changed by separately download and install a language package
user can separately download and install language package,
but what will happen if liberkey update service will install a new version of this software?
The user has again download and install the version specific language package, isn't it?
Can liberkey add this specific language package in its update procedure?
This would be great!!
[*]there are language specific installer packages available
User of liberkey has no chance to use the language specific version of this software, isn't it?
Could liberkey add severeal language specific installer packages in its library?This would be great!!

From my point of view, the goal should be, to use the most of the liberkey services and to avoid manual changes to the installed software other than using the configuration options of the software packages.

My dream is:
[*][*]Software specific language packages will be included in the download, install and update procedures of liberkey.[*]I can choose the language specific package of software if available.
What do you think Skybird and all the user users of liberkey?
I am looking forward to here from you.
joecool
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede skybird » 15 Août 2009, 19:42

Hi again joecool,

joecool écrit:
I think there are 4 categories of language specific situations in software:

Yes you are absolutely right

2.language can be changed in the options menu of the installed software.
no action necessary for liberkey, user has to change language option, option should be saved by software

And it is saved.

3.user can separately download and install language package,
but what will happen if liberkey update service will install a new version of this software?
The user has again download and install the version specific language package, isn't it?
Can liberkey add this specific language package in its update procedure?
This would be great!![/i][*]there are language specific installer packages available

yes, user can download 'its' language and install in application's directory. It will be saved during next update. (unless executable is modified)

4.[..]
Could liberkey add severeal language specific installer packages in its library?

Liberkey's installer packages are created from official installer application. So, in order to add new language support a specific package must be created from a specific original installer (e.g german).
Liberkey team doesn't have enough time to create these 'exceptions'.
skybird
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Messagede joecool » 16 Août 2009, 15:28

Hallo Skybird,

skybird écrit:
Liberkey's installer packages are created from official installer application. So, in order too add new language support a specific package must be created from a specific original installer (e.g german).
Liberkey team doesn't have enough time to create these 'exceptions'.

I understand, to have this package uptodate there is a lot of work necessary.

Kind regards and thank you for all your efforts around this nice package for ** free **.
joecool
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: How to switch apps to other language (e.g. german)

Messagede Jaro » 03 Février 2011, 14:39

Thank you very much for providing us with LibreOffice.

Because I never understand, that you only provide OpenOffice in French version (which only included the English language files), when there is a multilanguage version :silly:

LiberKey is such a great programme.

But now there is LibreOffice and you give us the Multilanguage Version. So now I can use LiberKey on the PC of my parents too, because now they got an German Office.

:lol:
Jaro
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

8 messages • Page 1 sur 1

Retourner vers General discussions