Portable Java Runtime JRE for LiberKey?

Discussions (excluding Support)
5 messages • Page 1 sur 1

Portable Java Runtime JRE for LiberKey?

Messagede GrahamG » 05 Septembre 2010, 10:45

I've looked through the English section of the forum, but could not find anything on portable JRE for LiberKey. I also looked through the French section, but my French is virtually non-existant (good opportunity to start learning though!).

My question is simply, is there a portable JRE app that can be used with LiberKey?

I went over to the PortableApps site to look at their Portable JRE / Launcher, but it looks as though this option is too tied in with their platform and I don't want to use the PA platform at all.

My main reasons for wanting a portable JRE is to use some of the more advanced options in Open Office that require the JRE (i.e. database, mailmerge, etc).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
GrahamG
GrahamG
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Portable Java Runtime JRE for LiberKey?

Messagede GrahamG » 05 Septembre 2010, 12:42

I might have provided an interim solution:

1. Install the Java Portable application (http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable) into \MyApps\Java
2. Open any module in OpenOffice
3. Select Tools > Options from the menu bar then select the Java option
4. Click on the "Add" button and use the "Select Path" dialog box to point to your \MyApps\Java folder (you don't need to do anything more than point to this folder)
5. Click on 'OK' and you now have access to a portable JRE.

I have yet to try and see if this works correctly and will update when tested. EDIT: Base and other OOo advanced options requiring JRE are working using the above method.

Would still prefer a portable JRE option from LiberKey rather than having to piggyback on a PortableApps program. If anyone has another way of implementing a portable JRE in LiberKey I would be grateful to know.

Thanks,

GrahamG
GrahamG
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede tonycfc » 09 Septembre 2010, 15:30

I agree with you guys, a portable Java runtime for our very own LiberKey would be nice. Now, the only problem would be licensing isn't it?
tonycfc
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede logan138 » 24 Septembre 2010, 14:42

GrahamG a écrit:I might have provided an interim solution:

1. Install the Java Portable application (http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable) into \MyApps\Java
2. Open any module in OpenOffice
3. Select Tools > Options from the menu bar then select the Java option
4. Click on the "Add" button and use the "Select Path" dialog box to point to your \MyApps\Java folder (you don't need to do anything more than point to this folder)
5. Click on 'OK' and you now have access to a portable JRE.

I have yet to try and see if this works correctly and will update when tested. EDIT: Base and other OOo advanced options requiring JRE are working using the above method.

Would still prefer a portable JRE option from LiberKey rather than having to piggyback on a PortableApps program. If anyone has another way of implementing a portable JRE in LiberKey I would be grateful to know.

Thanks,

GrahamG

Hello
First, I'm sorry for my english but there aren't similar topic in the french forum.
I'm agree with you (GrahamG), it's a trick for Open Office but what's about the other soft???

tonycfc a écrit:I agree with you guys, a portable Java runtime for our very own LiberKey would be nice. Now, the only problem would be licensing isn't it?

Why is it a licence probleme for liberkey team and not for portableapps team???

Is there a projet to inclued java in liberkey?

bye

logan
logan138
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Messagede hsapions » 12 Mai 2011, 21:23

I agree, a LiberKey portable JRE would be nice. In fact, the reason I am now using LiberKey so much, is I got tired of manually updating all my portableapps. I wrote my own updater using AutoIt, but with many inconsistent pages and URLs on their site, my code was becoming bulkier testing for different strings to find the right places to find, and download updates. The PA platform / updater doesn't come close to LiberKey's presentation, auto updating and other features.

If PA does not have a licensing problem bundling Java JREs, then I don't see any reason why LiberKey would, and I am sure they have carefully researched the licensing to be sure they don't violate it. I would much rather have it integrated to LiberKey and have auto updates, file associations and paths all update as smoothyl as they do on all other apps. For me to install a JRE then copy it to MyApps would work, but that is clumsy.

Actually, I use LiberKey all the time off my hard drive too. PC rebuilds are as simple as a basic Windows reinstall followed by those few apps that must install - Microsoft Office, Visio, Project, anti-virus, iTunes and one or two others, then I simply restore my data and LiberKey directories and I'm quickly back up and running.

Along with a LiberKey portable JRE, a LiberKey portable FreeMind would also be very nice. Right now, I download the FreeMind binary max package, unzip it to my portable apps directory, then modify the freemind.bat file to point to the PA portable JRE, and add
-Duser.home=.
to the startup to make my home / data directory local as well.
hsapions
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

5 messages • Page 1 sur 1

Retourner vers General discussions