Help Portabilizing Filebox Extender

A problem using LiberKey ?
1 message • Page 1 sur 1

Help Portabilizing Filebox Extender

Messagede MicketsBR » 19 Août 2010, 17:12

Hello,

What is Filebox Extender?

(...)
FileBox enhances Windows by adding several advanced functions to the standard Open File and Save File dialog boxes.

FileBox adds two handy buttons to these standard dialogs... next to the minimize, restore, and maximize buttons.

FileBox can also forcibly resize the standard Windows file management dialog boxes so they're bigger, and thus easier to use if you've got lots of files in a folder through which you need to look.

FileBox eXtender adds also a "push-pin" button to your "top level" windows.

Another FileBox enhancement is the "roll-up" button added to top level windows.

It's a great tool. More info here: http://www.hyperionics.com/files/index.asp. It is a Free product released under GNU General Public License, including the source code.

So what's the deal?

I've tried portablizing it into MyApps, but have come across a setting that I believe needs changing in the code.

I have the source code, but am having problems installing Visual C++ Studio, so I can't mess around with it right now.

A summary of what I've found so far and what needs doins:
  • Application can be installed in any folder
  • After first run, user must enter the Configuration menu, and press the Switch Config button to move the location of the configuration files (recent/favorite folders, exceptions, etc). The original location is under the user's settings folder in Windows (
    Code: Tout sélectionner
    C:\Documents and Settings\[i]user[/i]\Application Data\Hyperionics\fbx
    - it's a hidden folder), and one can easily move the settings folder to within the application folder itself.
  • Problem is that the location of the folder with the configurations is stored in the Registry. So even in the configuration files are in the application's folder, the program still reads the registry to find that location. The key is:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hyperionics\FileBX\Settings
  • If the folder doesn't exist, it creates it.

I was just thinking now, maybe I could:
  • export that registry key
  • Edit it, so it has a relative path in it
  • Make a batch file that will a) set the relative path in the registry and b) run the program

That may not work, though. So the best way would be to change the code so that setting is stored in an INI file. As simple as that, I think.

But I'm having problems installing Visual Studio right now.

UPDATE: Although I could put the relative path in the registry and the program would read the settings from there, it would not write the settings. So any changes in settings would not work. And if the path indicated in the registry doesn't exist, it just goes ahead and recreates the path under
C:\Documents and Settings\[i]user[/i]\Application Data\Hyperionics\fbx

UPDATE 2:I forgot to mention: the exceptions (programs that FileBx will not handle or handle differently) are stored in the configuration file with full path - not only the file name. It would be better IMO that the path is not included, so it will also handle applications that are ran from LiberKey.

Ideas?
MicketsBR
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

1 message • Page 1 sur 1

Retourner vers Support