Several requests

Propose and present new applications that could be integrated
Règles du forum
¤ Rules for applications' submission.
¤ Direct download links are prohibited and will be deleted without notice.
7 messages • Page 1 sur 1

Several requests

Messagede neurohax » 28 Juillet 2012, 04:36

I have LiberKey and another suite of portable programs that I regularly use. I recently tried to consolidate everything to LiberKey because it just works better for me (and I like the launcher more, too). But, I am missing several apps, which forces me to keep the other suite installed if I want timely, automatic updates. I've gone through both suites and removed programs that duplicate functions, so this isn't a case of, "Well, this program calculates a file's MD5 hash and this one does the same thing, but beeps at the end." If there are similar LiberKey programs to the ones I'm missing (listed below), they either a) Lack critical/unique features, b) Have a significantly worse interface (not just look, but command line interface and batch processing), or c) The opposite of a+b, look worse or lack features, but are more reliable and offer a backup plan. (Example, I'd rather have 2 file recovery utilities made by different people and using different techniques than a single utility.)

The apps missing from LiberKey are:

- Image -
AniFX
Cornice
Fotografix
Fyre
Hot Spot Studio
IcoFX
K-3D

- Web -
Iron
PuTTY
Skype <- That's a big one
Wireshark

- CD/Audio -
CDEx
cdrtfe
Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch
SMPlayer
Songbird

- Office -
FocusWriter
Foxit PDF Reader <- Even though it's gone downhill, I still find some PDFs that only Adobe and Foxit render correctly

- Dev Related -
Database Browser
SQLite Database Browser
Frhed
Jportable
UUID-GUID Generator
XN Resource Editor

- Misc -
FreeMat
GoldenDict
Zint Barcode Studio

- Utils -
CamStudio
Checksum Control
Console (aka Console2)
Cubic Explorer
DiffPDF <- Very useful for comparing PDFs. All other utils I tried just showed coding.
DM2
Eraser
RegShot <- One listed on LiberKey is dead. This one is still active: http://sourceforge.net/projects/regshot/
SIW (System Information for Windows)
Spybot S&D <- Another semi-important one
Texter
TinyTask
Toucan
Virtual Volumes View
Windows Error Lookup Tool

- Hardware -
HDHacker

I also noticed that LiberKey seems to be a little slower to update to new versions, even with popular software like VLC and Firefox. Not terribly behind, but sometimes off my more than a week. For example, FreeFileSync updated on July 1. It is July 27 and LiberKey still lists the old version as up to date. I don't know if this is a 1 person effort, and I'd be super-impressed if it was, but it would be nice to get new releases pushed out a little faster. Not a major issue, just bringing it up.

Thanks and keep up the awesome work!
neurohax
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Several requests

Messagede digislidz » 28 Juillet 2012, 04:52

Hi

Have you tried instaling the apps in MyApps. I have Fotografix in there. I am sure others could be installed too.

Cheers

Paul
digislidz
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede neurohax » 01 Août 2012, 06:18

Yeah, I've considered that, but I assumed you'd lose the ability to update through the PA.com launcher. So now I keep the two launchers and their apps separate to ease updating.

Though, this is the first time I've experienced one of these little European vacation seasons, and I'm not sure how much I like the 1+ month disappearance of updates. I understand stopping development on the launcher or other first-party things, but there should be a relatively automated process in place to deal with updates so that a skeleton crew could keep the apps up to date.
neurohax
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede Jackson2007 » 01 Août 2012, 23:29

neurohax a écrit:Yeah, I've considered that, but I assumed you'd lose the ability to update through the PA.com launcher. So now I keep the two launchers and their apps separate to ease updating.

Though, this is the first time I've experienced one of these little European vacation seasons, and I'm not sure how much I like the 1+ month disappearance of updates. I understand stopping development on the launcher or other first-party things, but there should be a relatively automated process in place to deal with updates so that a skeleton crew could keep the apps up to date.

I do the same but the opposite way. I keep liberkey and portableapps side by side as well, but I use portableapps most of the time now and consolidated in that. The slow updates on the liberkey side and the fact that the portableapps apps work better most of the time lead me to that. The portableapps menu lacks a few features of liberkey, but nothing major in my normal use. And the couple things I do want seem to be planned for the next version. Liberkey seems more like a hobby project compared to portableapps which is fine as long as you know that ahead of time. I just really want my apps to be reliable and updated. I even made a little shortcut in the portableapps menu to launch liberkey when I need it.
Jackson2007
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede neurohax » 07 Août 2012, 05:22

Jackson2007 a écrit:I do the same but the opposite way. I keep liberkey and portableapps side by side as well, but I use portableapps most of the time now and consolidated in that. The slow updates on the liberkey side and the fact that the portableapps apps work better most of the time lead me to that. The portableapps menu lacks a few features of liberkey, but nothing major in my normal use. And the couple things I do want seem to be planned for the next version. Liberkey seems more like a hobby project compared to portableapps which is fine as long as you know that ahead of time. I just really want my apps to be reliable and updated. I even made a little shortcut in the portableapps menu to launch liberkey when I need it.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm thinking of doing now (ugh, and I just consolidated to LiberKey). I also use WSCC to keep SysInternals and NirSoft updated, which will get another little shortcut added to portableapps. I kinda hate the PA launcher, which means finally searching out a proper solution for launching any of the programs across all suites.

And then there's the question of how to deal with the ~100 other 'portable'/no install apps. My only thought for keeping on top of those is to have an html file with links to the download sites that I have to manually create. I know this has veered off topic, but anyone have a good strategy for handling those loose portable apps?

Thanks much.
neurohax
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede soha » 13 Septembre 2013, 12:10

I agree. In fact I am planning to post a list of applications for which a new version is released and update is not yet available in LiberKey.
soha
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede Dji » 13 Septembre 2013, 13:44

No need for that, we already have an internal platform (since one year) which do the same but unfortunately the platform does not integrate all of applications from our catalog.

Doing this is very long and consume lots of our free time (after real work, after our family)
I know it's too long but we are doing our best.

If you need an update for one of our particular applications, I will try to integrate it sooner into our new update system and deliver it as soon as possible, let us know which of them you need :-)
"Si boire des coups, aller au concert ou au match, ça devient un combat
Alors tremblez, terroristes !
Parce qu'on est surentraînés !"
@glecalot
Dji
Administrator
Administrator

7 messages • Page 1 sur 1

Retourner vers Applications submission