Can LiberKey de-centralize?

Discussions (excluding Support)
8 messages • Page 1 sur 1

Can LiberKey de-centralize?

Messagede rajat » 09 Juillet 2015, 19:42

We all know LiberKey updates are dead for long, and nobody knows if it'll come back. That's usually how it is when just one person has to run the complete process end-to-end and its worse when it doesn't pay enough money (if any).

So I was wondering if it is possible to de-centralize the process of submitting new portable apps and updates. Such that:
1) Easy to understand instructions are available on how to create a new portable application, and how to update an existing one.
2) Anyone should be able to submit a new app/update.
3) Core team (instead of a single person) is responsible for moderating/testing the submissions, just like forum moderators.
4) Approved apps go to official repository, and (if possible) apps pending approval should still be possible to add to those who understand the risk.

I'm sure there are enough people who love Liberkey enough to give their own small contribution in way of app updates - I'm ready to update a few myself.

The ad revenue from the website/donations should still go to the original developer to help maintain the site, server costs and further core app development.

Please consider this before it's too late and the remaining userbase also moves on to other (IMO inferior) alternatives.

Thank you for LiberKey - please don't let it die
rajat
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Can LiberKey de-centralize?

Messagede paulderdash » 17 Juillet 2015, 09:30

Seems no-one is listening anymore, or no-one cares? :-(
paulderdash
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede rajat » 17 Juillet 2015, 10:30

Sadly, it seems that way. I was hoping to stir something here.
rajat
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede Dji » 17 Juillet 2015, 10:55

Theoretically, it make sense, we already thought about this for years but this is not easy to put in place and it requires lots of developments due to the current infrastructure.
In the French forum, vagabond answer when he goes back to recurrent activities (supposed to be in September), your request cannot be taken into account before that, sorry.
"Si boire des coups, aller au concert ou au match, ça devient un combat
Alors tremblez, terroristes !
Parce qu'on est surentraînés !"
@glecalot
Dji
Administrator
Administrator

Messagede rajat » 17 Juillet 2015, 11:11

Thank you for replying, and I hope September brings some good news.

Just one question, if the plan I posted above requires a lot of infrastructure changes, is there another way for users to submit updates that are in a format that can be directly used in the current infrastructure? A set of folders + INI/XML files maybe..?
rajat
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede Dji » 17 Juillet 2015, 15:37

You can't submit packages but you can create your own, check Portabilizer wiki
"Si boire des coups, aller au concert ou au match, ça devient un combat
Alors tremblez, terroristes !
Parce qu'on est surentraînés !"
@glecalot
Dji
Administrator
Administrator

Messagede rajat » 17 Juillet 2015, 17:46

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. This is great, really.

But it has a major issue too - As long as there's no way to submit/share portabilized applications, there will be so much repetition of effort amongst the userbase. Like if 50 users want to update to latest Notepad++ portable in Liberkey, they all have to do it on their own, instead of one person doing the effort and then everyone else gets it via centralized Liberkey updates.
rajat
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede akhouri_sarvesh » 18 Juillet 2015, 14:49

I agree with rajat - let other create the updates and then submit to you for verification and release. This way your work load will be reduced if few applications are contributed by volunteers.
akhouri_sarvesh
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

8 messages • Page 1 sur 1

Retourner vers General discussions