Liberkey illegally distributing ccleaner, defraggler + more

Discussions (excluding Support)
21 messages • Page 1 sur 31, 2, 3

Liberkey illegally distributing ccleaner, defraggler + more

Messagede kiki8life » 15 Octobre 2012, 15:17

A discussion recently happened over at portablefreeware.com where a couple forum members stated that liberkey illegally distributes software and one of the examples given was the apps by piriform (ccleaner, defraggler, speccy, recuva, are there others?). I wrote to piriform and asked them and they confirmed that liberkey didn't have permission and that they were forwarding the information on to the appropriate people in their company to deal with it.

I know liberkey infamously was distributing software from portableapps without proper credit a while back (yes I was using liberkey version 2, so I remember using it) and that several apps have gone missing from the app list here this year. But a couple moderators posting here and posting at portablefreeware have stated repeatedly that liberkey doesn't illegally distribute software. Now I know for a fact that they are. I want to know why. Why the illegal software? And why lie about it? Between this and all the software that's out of date, I don't have much faith left.
kiki8life
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

A mod secretly altered my post

Messagede kiki8life » 15 Octobre 2012, 17:43

After I posted this, a liberkey mod secretly switched the subject line to: "Does Liberkey illegally distribute Piriform softwares ?" The mod did this without comment or any note that the post was altered. I switched it back.

That is not what I posted. I already asked piriform and liberkey doesn't have permission, so I already know it's being distributed illegally. I was asking why liberkey is distributing software illegally.

I guess now I also have to ask: Why are liberkey mods secretly changing posts to make them less damaging?
kiki8life
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Liberkey illegally distributing ccleaner, defraggler + m

Messagede FrankYo » 15 Octobre 2012, 19:15

FrankYo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede MarPai » 17 Octobre 2012, 10:01

The Most likely reason is they talked to the wrong person and got the wrong impression. It does happen. Hopefully they can work with the Software owners and get that permission. Misunderstandings can happen all the time. Maybe instead of accusing them of Illegally distributing and asking why, you should just tell them that they are, and where to go to get it fixed.
MarPai
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede TaranQ » 17 Octobre 2012, 10:13

We are talking about freeware here arn't we?? Can't see anything could be wrong here ....
TaranQ
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede Dji » 17 Octobre 2012, 11:18

MarPai a écrit:The Most likely reason is they talked to the wrong person and got the wrong impression. It does happen.

This can be also applicable to kiki8life, isn't it ? ;-)

So please, don't feed the troll...
"Si boire des coups, aller au concert ou au match, ça devient un combat
Alors tremblez, terroristes !
Parce qu'on est surentraînés !"
@glecalot
Dji
Administrator
Administrator

Messagede kiki8life » 17 Octobre 2012, 16:37

Piriform told one of the moderators of Portablefreeware:
Piriform a écrit:Piriform does not allow anyone to distribute modified versions of our products on their websites or otherwise.

I asked piriform directly if they'd given liberkey permission using the contact form on their website. They got back to me and said that they had not. It would seem that the only way to 'resolve' this would be for liberkey to stop distributing illegal packages of piriform's software.

It had been said by a number of people here and there over the years that liberkey distributes illegal software and that they delete or modify posts by people who try to bring it up in the forums. I would not have believed it if it hadn't happened to me in my very first post here when a moderator secretly modified it to be less damaging. If liberkey likes to distribute software illegally and lie about it, censor their forums and then call people names for asking about it, maybe i'm better off sticking with legal portable software instead.
kiki8life
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede Dji » 17 Octobre 2012, 17:12

Liberkey does not modify any Piriform binaries, ever. Liberkey distributes Piriform softwares "packaged" but not modified and Liberkey got authorisation form Piriform to distribute their software this way.

I modified your title because you are saying something wrong maybe because you do not know what you are saying about, so I just put myself the following title "Does Liberkey distribute Pirifom illegally ?" instead of just deleting your lying post and bann you from the forum. Do you want me to regret my previous choice ?
"Si boire des coups, aller au concert ou au match, ça devient un combat
Alors tremblez, terroristes !
Parce qu'on est surentraînés !"
@glecalot
Dji
Administrator
Administrator

Messagede kiki8life » 17 Octobre 2012, 21:20

Dji a écrit:Liberkey does not modify any Piriform binaries, ever. Liberkey distributes Piriform softwares "packaged" but not modified and Liberkey got authorisation form Piriform to distribute their software this way.

Like most publishers, to piriform, packaging = modified. I'd asked at portableapps why they don't do piriform software and portableapps said that piriform doesn't let anyone repackage their apps or use their trademarks. The portableapps dev said they'd been negotiating for permission for over 3 years and piriform still said no, so portableapps wouldn't release it because it would be illegal. I asked piriform directly on their website about this and they said that they had not given anyone permission to repackage their software and wanted the names of anyone who was doing it.

Dji a écrit:I modified your title because you are saying something wrong maybe because you do not know what you are saying about, so I just put myself the following title "Does Liberkey distribute Pirifom illegally ?" instead of just deleting your lying post and bann you from the forum. Do you want me to regret my previous choice ?

The title didn't need to be modified as piriform had already answered the question directly to me and to people on at least two other websites. Liberkey doesn't have permission to 'package' piriform's software, so they are distributing ccleaner, defraggler and other stuff illegally. If the publisher is clearly stating you don't have permission while you are continuing to claim that you do, wouldn't that mean liberkey is lying?
kiki8life
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Messagede jgte » 17 Octobre 2012, 21:49

Kiki-dude brings up a(n apparently valid) point and the response is:
- unsolicited editing
- "don't feed the troll"
- "misunderstanding?"
- accusations of lying
- threats of forum ban

Really?